Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Scissors, Desk, Desk Mat, Paper

I tried making sounds with a pair of scissors today. First I tried just opening and closing the scissors, which produced a very quiet sound, I soon placed the scissors on my desk (well, on my desk mat, which is on top of my desk), and began spinning the scissors around, which made a much louder sound. I could hear a deeper resonance to the sound when the scissors were further away from me, so i tried just rubbing the scissors over those two parts of the desk, and found that about six inches in from the edge, the sound gets deeper.

I was able to create quite a variety of sounds playing the scissors against the desk in various ways. I tried spinning them by putting my finger in the holes on the scissors a lot, seeing how slow I could spin, and what would happen sonically as the spinning transformed into moving my finger around in widening circles. I got a slightly different sound depending on which side of the scissors was facing down, and on in which of the two holes I put my finger.

I also ended up scraping the scissors back and forth in a variety of patterns, tapping the different parts of the scissors against the table, and eventually, slicing the air again, this time more firmly, which produced a more audible sound.

With just a minute left, I used the scissors to slice a piece of paper (an advertisement I had received in the mail). I tried slicing at different speeds and cutting the paper both by slicing, and by dragging the scissors through the paper, and was able to create a reasonable variety of sounds with respect to volume and timbre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home